New U.S. Regulations Will Suffocate International Adoptions
Did you know that the State Department is trying to quietly pass new rules governing international adoption? Virtually no one is aware. It’s happening – and fast. The new regulations are stated on this government website, spilling through 52 pages of extremely difficult reading: Click here for link.
A news site, the Federalist, has interviewed a number of people in international adoption, and they do a much better job of explaining what these new regulations mean in this article (click here). In that article, they note “It’s small wonder the State Department chose to roll out these regulations now, while the country is distracted by the election.” And, quoting an interviewee, they continue: ‘If adoptive families had any idea of what was going on, I think they would be outraged.'”
If anyone with experience in international adoption takes a hard look at what’s coming, we think they’ll agree. Here’s the bottom line, from the article:
“Should these rules be adopted as written, advocates foresee far-reaching consequences. First, agencies will begin to close-most likely starting with small, faith-based agencies. Some speculate the current number of 198 American agencies could dwindle to as few as a dozen. Geographical gaps will form, as families in rural or low-population states can’t find an agency to serve them. Adoption costs will soar, and the already-long adoption timeline will lengthen.
Most importantly, millions of waiting children overseas will have fewer chances for a family of their own. “This is a boot on the neck of international adoption,” Johnson says. “At the end of the day, this isn’t about agencies. It’s about children.”
What to do? There’s a website explaining just that, with 16,000 petitions so far. You can find it here: http://saveadoptions.org/ So far, all of these agencies have signed a petition against the new regulations:
- ABC Adoption Services, Inc.
- A Family in Bloom
- A Love Beyond Borders
- ACF Adoptions
- Across the world Adoptions
- Adopt Abroad
- Adoption Assistance Inc.
- Adoption Associates
- Adoption Avenues
- Adoption and Beyond, Inc.
- Adoption by Shepherd Care
- Agape Adoptions (Washington)
- Agape of Central Alabama
- Adoption Center of Washington
- A Helping Hand Adoption
- All Blessings International
- Alliance for Children
- Amazing Grace Adoptions
- America World Adoption Association
- Bal Jagat – Children’s World International
- Building Arizona Families
- Carolina Adoption Services
- Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington, Inc.
- Catholic Charities of the Diocese of LaCrosse
- Catholic Charities Center for Family Services, Baltimore
- Catholic Family Center, Rochester, New York
- Children’s House International
- Children’s Hope International
- Christian Adoption Services, NC
- Christian Family Services of the Midwest, Inc.
- Chrysalis House, Inc.
- Counseling and Family Services dba Family Core
- Cradle of Hope Adoption Center
- Creative Adoptions Inc.
- DRC Adoption Services
- Embracing Children Adoption Services
- Embraced by Grace Adoptions
- Evolve Adoption and Family Services
- Faith International Adoptions
- Family Connections, Inc.
- Family Focus Adoption Services
- Families United Network, Inc.
- Forever Families Adoption Services, Inc
- Frank Adoption Center
- Gateway Woods Family Services
- Generations Adoptions
- Great Wall China Adoptions / Children of All Nations
- Hands Across the Water Adoptions
- Holston United Methodist Home for Children
- Homestudies and Adoption Placement Services
- Hope Adoption Inc. (Hope International)
- Hope’s Promise
- Hopscotch Adoptions, Inc.
- Illini Christian Ministries Inc.
- International Adoption Net
- International Child Foundation
- Joshua Tree Adoptions
- Kids First International Adoption
- Life Adoption Services Inc.
- Lifelink Adoption
- Little Miracles Adoption Agency
- Lutheran Family Services Rocky Mountains
- Michael S. Goldstein, Esq
- MLJ Adoptions
- New Beginnings International Children’s and Family Services
- New Horizons Adoption Agency, Inc.
- Nightlight Christian Adoptions
- Open Door Adoption Agency, Inc.
- Options for Families and Youth
- Premier Adoption Agency, Inc.
- Promise Kids a Future
- Small World, Inc.
- TFI Family Services Inc.
- The Datz Foundation
- The Gladney Center for Adoption
- The Sacred Portion Children’s Outreach
- Upbring (Lutheran Social Services of the South, Inc.)
- Vista Del Mar Adoptions
- Wasatch International Adoptions
- West Sands Adoptions
- Wyoming and Colorado Children’s Society
Other Endorsing Organizations
Harvard Law School Child Advocacy Program
Adoptions from the Heart
Americans for African Adoptions, Inc
Your Adoption Finance Coach
Global Orphan Foundation