Skip to Content

Top Peoria Divorce Law Firm

Dissolution cases are a primary area for Parker & Parker. We have extensive experience handling all divorce related issues and estates of all sizes. While we prefer to handle matters through an in person consultation here at the office, there are a few basic facts that occur in any given divorce case.

Filing a Petition for Dissolution

First, one spouse files a Petition for Dissolution alleging that grounds exist as reasons the marriage should be dissolved. It may be that your spouse has already completed this step and you have been served with paperwork. If this is the case, make sure you bring in the petition asking for a divorce when you come see us. We can then prepare an answer on your behalf, after which the case becomes active with both spouses participating until its conclusion.

After this initial commencement through the filing of a petition and an answer, the next step depends upon your circumstances.

Asset Valuation and Property Division

If all you have to do is decide matters of property, that being whatever assets and/or debt were acquired or incurred during the marriage, then typically your case will proceed quickly. Complex cases involving high-net worth marital estates may take longer. If spousal support (alimony) is appropriate, it will be included in the resolution of the financial matters in your divorce.

If you had children during your marriage, the court will deal with all children-related issues first, including parenting time schedules. In this case, the court will first encourage you to work out your differences. Many recent studies show that joint custody is often but not always the best possible situation in which you can raise your children. If you cannot come to agreements, however, the court will order you to attend mediation.

Parker & Parker can help advise you in the appointment of a mediator, which is a required step before the court allows you to litigate issues regarding your children. If after attending mediation, you still have been unable to work out a resolution with your spouse, then at that time Parker & Parker’s extensive experience in custody trials will become of great use to you.

What All Will Your Divorce Entail?

You may need an order of protection to address abuse or threats. You may already be divorced and now seek a post-divorce modification. If there are compelling reasons to seek a modification to your divorce decree in Illinois, Parker & Parker can help you present your case and pursue the right resolution.

Contact Us

Call 309-673-0069 or send an email message to schedule a consultation regarding your family law matter.